The thought of having your home broken into is scary. Our homes are the places that we can be ourselves, where we feel safe and secure from whatever is going on outside those doors be it storms or other disasters. That safety is shattered when someone chooses to break into our homes, our personal spaces to take things or simply instill fear. It is of the utmost importance to ensure that your home is secure for your safety and the safety of your loved ones. With our home security tips, you can make sure you have everything you need for your home.
- Have plenty of lighting. Houses that are well lit are avoided for several reasons. The first being that it's much harder to hide when there are lots of lights around whether that be house lights, flood lights or even street lights. Neighbors are more likely to see someone acting suspiciously in a well-lit area. It also tells the burglar that you are home, whether that is true or not. Most don't want to rob a house that has people in it and will choose one without lights as it is an easier target.
- Get quality locks. So many people move into homes and don't change the locks or even think about if they need extra locks on doors. Always use a quality deadbolt lock to keep your front and any back doors secure. Any door that leads to the outside should have a quality lock to ensure safety.
- Make sure to use your locks. Having the best locks in the area won't do you any good if you don't remember to lock them. Even if you are home all day, make sure to keep your front and back doors locked. You never know when someone is going to try to sneak in while you are distracted or who is testing doorknobs to come back at a later point in time. When you walk in the door, you should lock it behind you.
- Consider an extended steel strike plate. This will help to reinforce your door in case someone decides to try to kick it down.
- Consider an alarm system. This is a great way to ensure that your home is secured, even when you're not home. With so many on the market, you're sure to find one that fits your needs.
- Put your valuables in a safe. Keep anything important in your safe when not in use, this will protect it from a fire or a flood, as well as from a burglar.